Friday, July 15, 2016

[Review] Narnia : The Magician's Nephew by C.S.Lewis

Title: The Magician’s Nephew (The Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
Author: C.S Lewis
Publisher: Harper Collins
Published: October 1st, 2009
Page: 220p
ISBN13: 9780007323135
(Bought in a box set at Big Bad Wolf 280k IDR)

Writing review for classic book is kind of hard for me, especially children book loved by almost everyone since the first publication. The Magician’s Nephew first published in 1955 and has become one of beloved books for children. So why would I write a review after 61 years later? Then I realize I want to share my feeling and thought which hopefully will testify the relevancy of the story these days when a game named Pokémon Go just became famous.

Digory is the nephew mentioned by the title and Uncle Andrew is the magician. Digory met Polly, the girl next door, when he came to live with his Aunt Letty and Uncle Andrew while his mother was in a very sick condition. One day, among the game he and Polly was doing, they fell into a room turned out belongs to Uncle Andrew, a forbidden room for everyone. Uncle Andrew tricked them with some magic ring to go to another world. There are two rings, golden ring will send them to the other world, but green ring will bring them home. The journey soon begun, brought them to a world named Charn where Empress Jadis rule as an evil queen. When they left Charn, Jadis followed them and soon she arrived in London which brought great suffer for several people including Uncle Andrew. Digory and Polly knew, they must send the wicked witch back to her world, so they put the golden ring on, but instead of arriving in Charn, they entered into a world with no light. Only darkness surrounds the world, they barely saw each other face. Then a beautiful song started, and then light appeared, like it was summoned by the melody. As the sun rose, they could see that the world was empty, only rocks and water, and the singer himself were pacing to and fro. It was a Lion. It was like everything in the book of Genesis. I think Lewis was portrayed the story of creation.

Lewis describes Narnia in details, help me to put a clear image of the animals, trees, valley, mountain, the green grass, the lamp-post, and so many things on my mind, so I could even create my own Narnia that might be different from the movie version. If Disneyland is everyone favorite land, Narnia is mine. I wish I could visit the land of youth someday, but as you know it is only a fairy land. Starting from movie few years ago, now I plan to read the series. According to publication order, this one is the second book from the bottom of the list, but I took Harper Collins suggestion to read this one first and I guess I made good choice about that. If you are new to the series, then I suggest you start with this one to get the idea of how Narnia was created and how everything was in the first place before the evil Queen begins the terror.

Reader, I was not mesmerized only by the magical words that brought beautiful image on my mind, but also warmed by the meaning of Lewis’s words, messages over the years that still relevant till now. Here are some quotes I love the most,

For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are – p.116

“But please, please – won’t you – can’t you give me something that will cure Mother?” Up till then he had been looking at the Lion’s great feet and the huge claws on them; now, in his despair, he looked up at its face. What he saw surprised him as much as anything in his whole life. For the tawny face was bent down near his own and (wonder of wonders) great shining tears stood in the Lion’s eyes. They were such big, bright tears compared with Digory’s own that for a moment he felt as if the Lion must really be sorrier about his Mother than he was himself – p.131

He has made himself unable to hear my voice….Oh Adam’s son, how cleverly you defend yourselves against all that might do you good – p.158

Submitted for

No comments:

Post a Comment